This Week's Featured Recipe: Fresh Fava Beans in Olive Oil with Garlic
Olive Oil, Garlic, Fava Beans(see prepations notes, below),
Salt, Lemon juice, Pasta
Optional: Prosciutto or Pancetta, good quality butter, cashews or pine nuts, kale
1. Preparing the Favas: First the beans need to be shelled. Once out of the pod the beans should be blanched in boiling water for one minute to loosen the skin around the bean, then drained and cooled in an ice bath. The outer husk can be removed by pinching the edible bean out of the husk with your fingers.
2. Use a top quality olive oil, and a minimum of a clove of garlic, and slowly saute the beans for 10 to 15 minutes stirring often.
3. Season with salt to taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired (or a pinch of zest). You may also add a bit of minced pancetta or prosciutto along with the garlic and olive oil.
4. This is great over pasta if you add a nice tablespoon or two of lightly salted cultured butter (get the best butter you can find)
5. If desired, add some nuts (pine nuts or broken cashews) and some wilted hearty greens.